Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Our 3 week holiday in France - days 1 to 4

5/9/15 3 week holiday in France
We spent a few days preparing Morag for our holiday in France. The biggest problem we had was finding somewhere with a 6Kg propane cylinder in stock! Eventually located one at GO Outdoors in Stoke. We checked the oil, water and tyres and drained and flushed through the waste tank. All ready to go on the 5th.
We left at about 10:30 headed for Kent for an overnight stop before catching the early ferry on the 6th. The journey was pretty uneventful and we reached our destination, a CL at the Waggon and Horses pub near Charing, at 4 pm. We took Button for a walk then had an early dinner in the pub. We settled down for the night early ready for an early rise tomorrow.

Waggon and Horses, Charing

6/9/15 Ferry and on to Nonancourt
We woke at 5am to get ready - it was still dark! We were at Dover in plenty of time for the 8 o'clock ferry to Dunkirk. Cooked English breakfast on the boat set us up for the journey.
Once in France we made our way via the A16 and A28 to Rouen, stopping near Le Touquet to stretch our legs and give Button a proper walk. We drove on to the Camp Municipal at St-Remy-sur-Avre. This site was small, friendly and inexpensive. The facilities were all very clean making it a good overnight stop. We ate Chilli andRice for our evening meal and polished off a nice bottle of Merlot!
Walking Button at the Aire near Le Touquet

Our pitch at St-Remy

Button relaxing after the long drive

7/9/15 On to the Limousin
We had a much more laid back start to the day leaving the site at about 10:30 to head down via Chartres and Orleans to the free A20 autoroute. We stopped for a break at the Aire du Hèron Cendré, a very pleasant rest area on the A71 with woodland to walk Button. We stopped again for lunch in Morag near Salbris then continued down to Bessines. The campsite at Morterolles-sur-Semme we had headed for (in the Caravan Club book) was closed and looked like it ahad been that way for some time so we set up in a car park near the Stade for "Camping Sauvage".
"Camping Fermé"

"Camping Sauvage"

We had our evening meal in Morag. No-one disturbed us or told us we couldn't stop there so we spent a very peaceful night.
8/9/15 To the Dordogne
Before setting out we had decided to aim for the Dordogne for a few days on our way south. We called at a nearby Intermarche for supplies before rejoining the A20. The weather was perfect with near cloudless skies all the way down to the Dordogne. We stopped at the Aire du Porte de Corrèze for a break. This is another very nice rest area with extensive open spaces to walk Button.
We reached the Dordogne around 1pm and quickly found or intended camp site, La Bouysse de Caudon, right on the banks of the Dordogne river. We had a celebratory G&T before taking Button for a walk and a swim. She seemed delighted not to be travelling on in Morag!
Once again we ate our evening meal (and drank another bottle of wine) in Morag before settling down for a good night's sleep.
At Porte de Corrèze

A shady pitch

Button Enjoying the Dordogne

The beach next to the campsite

No comments:

Post a Comment